Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The wRIGHT Way To Do The Ultimate Burrito!

When I first got married my cooking skills were slightly lacking...to say the least. My husband was lucky if the hamburger helper wasn't served up blackened. One of the easiest meals I made for him in the very beginning was a very generic chicken burrito complete with refried beans and pre-cooked, pre-sliced chicken found in the grocers refrigerator section. I know what you thinking...mmmmm!!! Over the years I have honed my cooking skills and come up with the ultimate burrito and it really IS MMMM MMMMM GOOD!!! So here's how it goes:

1-2 pounds of Boneless/skinless chicken breast, 1 packet of taco seasoning and 1 cup of water in the crock pot for 6-8 hours. The house smells AMAZING and your hubby comes home ready to put down some food!









Basmati rice cooked per package instructions PLUS add in an extra slab of butter, 1/2 tbsp basil and 1/2 tbsp parsley (dried)...if you have fresh, its always better. But add all that to the cooking time and those flavors cook up real nice in the rice.






My favorite is the sour cream. I get a packet of McCormick Grill Mates CHIPOTLE PEPPER Marinade and season about 8oz worth of sour cream to my liking with that. It aint yo momma's sour cream. Usually that same packet will last me several different meals (also makes a great tortilla chip dip, in case you were wondering). I just roll it up and store it in my seasoning pantry. I am not sure I have ever actually used this as its intended...as a marinade.



So those are all my personal touches to the ultimate burrito. Once you have these things made the only other things we add to our burritos are easy to find in the grocery store: Refried Beans (would love to find  recipe for these), Guacamole (my favorite is Wholly Guacamole), Cheese and Salsa. Although I do have amAAAAHHHHzing salsa and guac recipes, its too time consuming when your trying to put together a "quick" dinner. I will share those recipes with you another time.

And here is how I layer from the bottom up:

  • Burrito wrap
  • Refried Beans
  • Rice
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • MORE Cheese (you can NEVER have too much cheese)
  • Guacamole
  • Sour Cream
  • Salsa
Wrap it up and ENJOY! In case your wondering, NO, I wasn't able to close my burrito...its a fork and knife kind of thing!!!

XOXO,
Erin





1 Corinthians 10:31
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God


No comments:

Post a Comment